Guest Recipe: Jupiter's Mummy Calzones
11 October 2019
As we creep ever-nearer to Halloween, we get more and more excited to make spooky food! As an American living in England, I'm always making sure my friends try some of the themed foods my family have made every Halloween. One of my favourites, and a real crowd pleaser, are my mummified calzones! Calzones are just large pizza pockets, and turning them into a spooky-looking mummy is much easier than you think.
As we creep ever-nearer to Halloween, we get more and more excited to make spooky food! As an American living in England, I'm always making sure my friends try some of the themed foods my family have made every Halloween.
One of my favourites, and a real crowd pleaser, are my mummified calzones! Calzones are just large pizza pockets, and turning them into a spooky-looking mummy is much easier than you think.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
For the dough
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 7g active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 225ml warm water
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons from a jar of tomato sauce (NOT ketchup!)
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- Red bell pepper for the eyes
- Any toppings you’d normally have on your pizza
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C / 420°F / Gas Mark 7.
- In the first mixing bowl, add yeast and sugar to warm water, stir gently and set aside.
- Measure out your flour and salt and add into another large bowl.
- Once the yeast from your first mixing bowl has dissolved, add this mixture to the flour and salt. Then add in the olive oil.
- Stir this together using a spatula or your hands - you’ll need to work it into a dough consistency.
- Once combined, let the dough sit for 15 minutes.
- During this time, if you have pizza toppings like fresh mushrooms or sausage, you can cook them in a pan. You can add any veggies or sliced meats you want!
- Next, cut two cubes out of the red bell pepper (these will be the mummies eyes).
- After the 15 minutes has passed, take your dough out of the bowl, and place it on a surface covered with flour. Knead for 10 minutes, and then start rolling it out. Your goal is to aim for a rectangular or oval shape - make sure it’s nice and long.
- Once your dough has been stretched into the correct shape, place your dough on a tray, and add your sauce and cheese to the base.
- Then start adding your toppings. You should place your toppings in a line down the middle of the dough, leaving the edges uncovered.
- Cut horizontal strips along the sides of the dough that have remained uncovered. Don’t worry - these don’t have to be evenly cut or the same in number on either side.
- Next, fold over the top and bottom of your dough.
- Then begin stretching your side strips across the middle. Your mummy should begin looking much more realistic now.
- Add your red bell pepper to an open area at the top of your mummy to make the eyes.
- Put your calzone mummy in the oven for 15-25 minutes, depending on thickness, until the dough is browned and cooked through. Don’t worry if the sauce starts to bubble out a bit - that helps adds to the spooky effect!
- Cut your mummy calzone into thirds and share it with friends!
What did you think of Jupiter's spooky mummy calzones? You'll find more yummy recipes on her blog - take a look and say hello!