This policy is effective from 10th May 2018.
We may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page regularly to ensure that you are aware of any changes.
Our legal basis for using your data
For example, if we arrange to deliver goods bought in one of our stores, we will collect your address in order to fulfil this service.
For example, when you enter your name and email address to receive email marketing, we’ll ask you to tick a box confirming you give consent.
For example, we may need to pass your personal information to governmental, regulatory or law enforcement bodies or agencies in order for us to comply with the law.
For example, we may combine the browsing history of many customers to identify trends and ensure we keep up with demand for certain products or services.
Who we are
B&M Retail Limited is a company registered in England and Wales. Its company number is: 1357507. Its registered office is at: The Vault, Dakota Drive, Estuary Commerce Park, Speke, Liverpool, L24 8RJ, UK. Its VAT number is: GB 673 583601.
What we collect
When you visit our website or App, we may collect and process information which has been provided by you to us. This may include:
- your name (when signing up to our email newsletter, entering a competition, submitting a contact form, or registering to apply for vacancies at B&M);
- your contact information including email address, phone number and postal address (when signing up to our email newsletter, entering a competition, submitting a contact form or registering to apply for vacancies at B&M);
- preferences and interests, such as department favourites and gender (while using the App);
- your internet protocol address and details of your browsing activity during visits to our website (IP addresses are anonymised), including traffic and location data (see Cookies policy for more information. Location data is collected via the App, but only with your consent);
- when applying for vacancies, your CV; contents of which may include contact information (address and telephone number), education history, qualifications, employment history, medical information, information relating to criminal offences and referee name and contact information (we may request further information relating to your application, such as salary expectations and right to work in the UK).
What we do with your information
We collect this personal information to understand your preferences better so that B&M can provide you with a better service. We may use your information to:
- review website and App traffic and usage to improve and develop our website, App and our products and services;
- notify you about changes to our website, App, products or services from time to time;
- where we have your consent, send promotions about new products and latest offers by email, the App, text, phone or post;
- respond to customer service queries;
- where necessary, resolve customer service queries by passing information to relevant third parties and between B&M departments;
- assist you in applying for job vacancies advertised on our website;
- where we have your consent, email you job alerts based on your preferences;
- post prizes that have been won when entering competitions;
- carry out analysis of data on user visits, browsing patterns, trends and preferences for our own market research purposes and to track and measure the impact, results or pattern of website traffic and preferences from other promotional and marketing activities of B&M;
- comply with any applicable law, legal process or enforcement by any regulatory body which is binding on B&M.
From time to time, with your consent, B&M may also use your personal information to contact you for market research purposes via email, the App, text, phone or post.
Any additional personal information provided to us – for instance, during the course of any correspondence between yourself and our customer services department – may be retained on file in order to support the processing and outcome relating to reason for the provision of the personal information.
Disclosure of your information
We do not sell, rent, loan, trade or otherwise disclose your personal information, except as described in this policy.
However, B&M may share your information with trusted third party business partners so that we can provide the service requested. We may share your information with selected third parties who provide advertising and market research services to us to help improve our services to customers and users of our website and App. These include:
- third party suppliers who assist us in performing our services;
- analytics and search engine providers (such as Google Analytics) that assist in the improvement and optimisation of our website and App (on an anonymised basis).
There may be times when we believe it is necessary to share your personal information with a third party (other than those already described). These include:
- where we are required or permitted to do so by law or regulations;
- in the event that all or any part of our business is sold or integrated with another business, your details may be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchaser’s adviser, and may be passed on to the new owners of the business (or any part of it).
We will not sell, rent, loan or distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law or regulation to do so.
The privacy and protection of your personal information is very important to B&M. We comply with all applicable data protection laws and we treat all your information as confidential. We have systems in place and are diligent in seeking to prevent any unauthorised access, disclosure or corruption of personal data processed or collected through our website and App.
We transfer personal data between ourselves and our service providers. Where those service providers are based outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”) we use appropriate safeguards for the protection of your data similar to the position if it were being processed within the EEA.
Links to other websites
When you use our website or App or those of trusted providers, you may be able to share information through social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter, for example through ‘Likes’ or reviews. When doing this your data may be visible to providers of social network services and their users, as well as B&M. We recommend that you consider the privacy settings on your social media accounts so as you are clear how your information may be used and shared.
Your rights (withdrawing consent and unsubscribing)
As a data subject by law you have a number of rights which include the following:
Access to Personal Data
You have a right to request a copy of all personal information that we hold about you. Requests can be made by contacting: Customerservices@bmstores.co.uk
Correction of Personal Data
You can request that we rectify and correct any personal data that we are processing about you which is incorrect. Requests can be made by contacting: Customerservices@bmstores.co.uk
Right to Withdraw Consent
Where we have relied upon your consent to process your personal data, you have the right to withdraw that consent. You can withdraw consent in the following ways:
- to opt out of email marketing, just click on the unsubscribe link found in the marketing communications you receive from us;
- email us at: Customerservices@bmstores.co.uk;
- write to our Customer Services team at the address found in the Contact section below.
Right of Erasure
You can request us to erase your personal data where there is no compelling reason to continue processing. This right only applies in certain circumstances, it is not a guaranteed or absolute right.
When applying for a job vacancy through our website, we will hold your information for a maximum of 12 months (we may send you job alerts via email during this time). After this period, if we have not received additional consent to keep sending you alerts, your information will be securely disposed of.
Right to Data Portability
The right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information.
Right to Restrict Processing of Personal Data
You have the right in certain circumstances to request that we suspend our processing of your personal data. Where we suspend our processing of your personal data we will still be permitted to store your personal data, but any other processing of this information will require your consent, subject to certain exemptions.
Right to Object to Processing of Personal Data
You have the right to object to our use of your personal data which is processed on the basis of our legitimate interests. However, we may continue to process your personal data, despite your objection, where there are compelling legitimate grounds to do so or we need to process your personal data in connection with any legal claim.
Right Relating to Automated Decision Making & Profiling
You have the right not to be subject to a decision which is based solely on automated processing (without human involvement) where that decision produces a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you. This right means you can request that we involve one of our employees or representatives in the decision-making process.
You may continue to receive mailings from us for a short period of time while your request is being processed.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect, please contact us using the methods described above.
If you are not satisfied with how we manage your personal information, you have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
You can find old versions of our policy at the bottom of this page.
If you have any questions regarding how we collect, store and handle your personal information, we will be more than happy to hear from you. Please email your enquiry to:
Alternatively you can write to our Customer Services team who will be happy to help:
B&M Retail Limited
Estuary Commerce Park