Recipe: Five-Minute Pitta Pizzas
06 April 2020
Do you love pizza? Want to make food quickly without compromising on deliciousness? If the answer to both of these questions is “yes”, we reckon pizza pittas are for you. The creative team here at B&M HQ have put together a simple pizza recipe using pitta bread instead of a traditional pizza base. It’s super simple, versatile and - because pitta has a lower calorific content - it’s great for people planning on healthy eating.
Do you love pizza? Want to make food quickly without compromising on deliciousness? If the answer to both of these questions is “yes”, we reckon pizza pittas are for you.
The creative team here at B&M HQ have put together a simple pizza recipe using pitta bread instead of a traditional pizza base. It’s super simple, versatile and - because pitta has a lower calorific content - it’s great for people planning on healthy eating.
- Prep Time: 30 - 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 35 - 50 minutes
Category: Pizza,Healthy Eating
- A batch of white or wheat pittas, depending on your preference.
- Grated mozzarella cheese - 25g per pitta
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Making the sauce
Here’s a few simple steps for making your own thick, rich tomato sauce:
- Place your saucepan on the hob at a medium heat. Pour in the oil and heat for one minute.
- Add the chopped garlic and red pepper to the pan and keep stirring. It should take around 5 minutes to soften the pepper.
- Once the pepper has become soft, pour in the chopped tomatoes, puree, herbs and black pepper.
- Add salt and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- After around 20 minutes, the sauce should look thicker. Turn off the hob and move on to the next step.
Preparing the pittas
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees celsius.
- Spread the pittas across your baking tray.
- Spoon a generous amount of sauce over the top of each pitta.
- Add any topping you prefer - we’ll tell you our favourites below.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over each pizza.
- Using the oven gloves, place the tray in the middle of the oven.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until nice and crisp around the edges.
- Carefully remove from the oven and serve your pitta bread pizzas!
Our Top Toppings
Pulled Pesto Chicken
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Place all the chicken breasts you’re using on a baking tray, cover with foil and pop them in the oven to roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and pull the meat apart with two forks until it is shredded.
- Add the green pesto to the shredded chicken and mix the two together.
Spread equal amounts of the pesto chicken on each pitta before you add the mozzarella.
Grate, crumble or thinly slice your favourite three cheeses, making sure there’s enough to totally cover the top of each pitta without drowning it.
Simply sprinkle each cheese over the top of each pitta evenly, before the mozzarella (the fourth cheese) is added!
B&M Top Tip: All of our topping ideas also work great on toasted bagels!
For simple, healthy pizza recipes, using pitta as a base is just so easy. Choose any of the above toppings or create your own for something fast and delicious. Why not print the recipe of your choice for super-quick reference, saving even more time?
For more healthy recipes, browse through our selection online.